Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It Ain't Food Network, But They Eat It....Tuesday!

Over the weekend I wanted to make something in the crock pot. I wanted something warm. Something soupy. I didn't really have anything planned to make for dinner that day. I know, that's hard to believe since I plan out my menus. It had to fit into my new eating plans. Meaning...healthy. Here is what I came up with.

Sara's Lentil and Rice Crock Pot Stew
Makes 12 1 cup servings (4 WW points each!)

(Blaine and I have decided to call it a stew instead of a soup since it is thick. But we are not sure if that is the difference between soup and stew....)

1 lb. bag of lentils (I used 1 3/4 cups cause that's what I had)
2 cups uncooked brown rice (not 10 minute rice either...and I will do this part different next time)
10 cups (or more) fat free broth (I used chicken broth)
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 cups match stick carrots (you guessed it...cause that's what I had!)
4 cloves of garlic, minced

I took all this and threw it into the crock pot and cooked it for about 7 hours. I used my 6 quart crock pot. It was pretty good. Bryson loved it! The big kids weren't home so I don't know about them. I started out with 8 cups of stock and added more before we ate because it seemed really thick once the rice started absorbing the liquid. After we finished eating, I separated the left overs into plastic containers, with one serving in each, and popped them into the freezer. Now when Stephen and I don't have a lunch made up, we can just grab those and let them thaw out at work!

What I will do differently next time: It turned out kinda mushy because of the rice, even though I didn't use instant. But that also gave it a thicker consistency. I think maybe I will cook it separately and stir it in before serving next time.

Will I make this again? Sure!

If you try this recipe let me know what you think. Even if you don't like it. Just be nice please :)

1 comment:

A Joyful Chaos said...

It sounds delicious. thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...