Tuesday, June 30, 2009

It Ain't Food Network, But They Eat It....Tuesday!

This is a recipe that I have been making for several years now. My entire family eats it (not sure about Bryson....I don't know if he has ever had it now that I think about it) and I take it to potluck meals a lot in the summer when I have cucumbers out my ears. In fact, I need to whip up a batch of these soon. Brayden and Blaine will come home from their dad's house Thursday and they usually it a weeks worth of vegetables in one day when they come home! They make up for what they don't get when they are there...

Marinated Cucumbers

6 medium sized cucumbers, thinly sliced (I peel mine but you can leave the outside on...it's good for you, but easier for the kids to eat peeled)
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil (you can use vegetable oil too)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning
1 tsp. ground mustard

In a large bowl combine cucumbers and onion. In another bowl, or even a jar with tight fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients and shake well. (Okay, so don't shake it if you used the bowl...just stir.) Pour over the cucumbers and onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. I like to let it sit over night so it takes more like pickles. Serve with a slotted spoon.

You can even leave out the cucumbers and do more onions. I love pickled onions from Cock of the Walk in Nashville! This is one of those recipes where if there is a spice in it you don't like, leave it out and substitute it with some more of the other spices. I really don't think you can mess it up.

Sara

1 comment:

gabgirl said...

i am SOOOOOOOOO making this! just picked up a crop of cucumbers from my parents garden this weekend! :O)
thanks for sharing~

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...