Sunday, June 28, 2009

57 Varieties







That is how many day lilies we have in our yard. Some look very similar to others and some look very different. Some have big blooms, some small. Some are brightly colored and some are pale in color. Some even have ruffled edges. I like those the most. I haven't had a chance to take pictures of our favorites yet. They weren't blooming when I took these.

This is a hobby of Stephen's. The names range from Breakfast Delight to Volcanic Eruption. My dad got him started on this. We all went together last summer to a day lily farm in Tennessee. Dad and Stephen picked out the ones they liked and then made sure they didn't get any the same. That way they could split them up after a few years and share them and not have repeats. Every morning when we get up a different one will be blooming. It is always neat to look out the window and see which one we will get to enjoy.

My Uncle Bob and Aunt Kathleen in Indiana also enjoy growing day lilies. Uncle Bob even hybridizes some of his own and gets to name them. I bet that is hard coming up with a name nobody else has thought of. That would be like trying to name lipstick or nail polish!

It may seem silly to have this many day lilies (or more) in your yard, but I can't complain. I think I have him beat with quilt fabric and he knows it! I'm not saying a word....

Sara

3 comments:

kara said...

Cool! That's a neat hobby! I'm partial to the yellow ones...

gabgirl said...

very neat hobby.
love me some flowers...i don't care what kind!! :)

my sister in law's grandmother did this before she passed away. i remember she got HUNDREDS for certain day lillies. crazy~

one BleSSed gal! said...

beautiful.
i always notice how pretty your yard & landscaping look!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...