Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It Ain't Food Network, But They Eat It....Tuesday!

This is a recipe that came from my other Grandma. Mom's mom. Grandma Stroud. She passed away in 1994 and every time I make this I think of her. In fact, I can remember writing the recipe down on the recipe card that I still read to make this, as she was telling me how to make it. "Well, you mix a little of this and about a cup of that...." Long before I was ever married. It is written in cursive so I would have been old enough to do that. Yes...I have been cooking for a long time now. And this one is super easy!

Cobbler

about 1/2 stick of butter (don't mix this in anything)

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla flavoring

about 2 cups fruit

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put butter in a square baking dish and put it in the oven as you mix your batter. Mix dry ingredients together. Add next three ingredients. Put the batter into your baking dish (batter is runny) and then spoon your fruit with the juices into the batter. You don't even stir. Just throw it in. How easy is that? Bake 45 minutes to an hour. And that really depends on how juicy your fruit is. It will look gooey in the middle but it will set as it cools a little. You don't have to let it cool all the way. I love it straight out of the oven!

Want to make a bigger one? Double everything and use a 9 x13 pan.

Options for fruit to use:

Fresh peaches. Peel and slice them. And the juice that comes off them when you slice them, throw that in to equal the 2 cups.

Fresh or frozen blueberries. If useing fresh, wash and remove stems from blueberries. Add to saucepan and a little water. Cup or so. Then add about 1/2 cup sugar. Bring to a boil then cook down for about 20 minutes.

Rhubarb. I think this is my families favorite. Extended family, that is. My kids have eaten it and liked it, but I don't think they remember. Wash and chop rhubarb. Add to saucepan and cover with water. Add a cup or so of sugar. Cook down. The amount of sugar really depends on how tart you want this one.

In the summer I buy peaches and what we can't eat I prepare them for this recipe and freeze it in 2 cup quantities so I can have some later.

And for those of you in the south, I refer to this as Yankee cobbler because I have never eaten it in the south! It is like a cake batter, unlike cobblers in the south that are more like a square pie. It is definitely easier than pie cobbler since you just throw it together.

What kind of fruits would you, or have you tried with cobbler?

Sara

1 comment:

Terra said...

Thanks for sharing this. Although I love to cook and I have TONS of cookbooks, cooking magazines, & family recipes, I don't have a cobbler recipe. It's neat to have one from Toby's grandma to make for us to eat and to pass on to Liv. Thanks again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...