Friday, September 4, 2009

Fun Fact Friday

We went out last night for my birthday with friends (also our bosses). It reminded me of something I could tell you about today for a fun fact. When our waiter introduced himself last night, Tony told him we were there for my birthday. I could feel my face turning red and all I could think was, "Great. Now they are going to come sing to me and make a big deal." And here is why that freaked me out.

When me and my sister were little we never really had "birthday parties" like the kids do now. We could have one friend over to spend the night and we never had a store bought cake. Mom always made something from scratch. She always decorated them so it wasn't just a cake...it was a cool birthday cake. Two that stand out in my head were one that was shaped like a big umbrella and was covered with colored coconut. Another was a round cake and was topped with elephants made out of different sized marshmallows held together with toothpicks. In the middle was a straight candy cane and they were attached to look like a carousel.

One year (I am not sure how old we were, but we moved from there when I was eight, so I would have been younger than that. I am thinking we were turning 5 and 7) my parents decided to do something very special for our birthday. We could each bring one friend. I brought Patty and Rachael brought Leslie. It was a really neat pizza joint in another city that my parents had found out about. They didn't tell us where we were going. That was part of the surprise. The place was decorated with a fire engine theme. I don't remember that part but when we were talking about this with my parents one time dad was refreshing my memory. Here is why I don't remember that part. After we ate our pizza we heard this really loud noise. We started looking around wondering what it was. It was apparently the siren on the firetruck and then someone comes over the loud speaker. I don't remember exactly what they said but they were very loudly inviting everyone in the restaurant to sing happy birthday to us. We were so embarrassed! They brought us these huge sundaes with a candle in the top and sang to us.

We cried. We cried a lot. We were mad and embarrassed. I wouldn't blow out my candle. I cried for so long my sundae melted. Dad said he would eat it if I wasn't going to. I wouldn't let him. That candle could melt all the way down into the ice cream and I didn't care. If I wasn't going to eat it , nobody was gonna eat it!

That was the last time we had any sort of birthday party. My parents never sang happy birthday to us. For years when we went out to eat and the waitresses all started getting together to sing to someone I could feel my face getting red and I could feel the blood pounding in my ears. One time that happened and my parents could see it on my face. They starting laughing at me and dad said, "Sara, it isn't even close to your birthday!" They have scarred my for life.

I was talking about this not long ago with my dad and I was telling him how I was so embarrassed that day at the pizza joint.

He looks at me and says, "Why were you embarrassed? We were the only ones there!"

I don't remember that part either.

Have a fun Friday!

Sara

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...