Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It Ain't Food Network, But They Eat It....Tuesday!

Last week I went to the pantry and stood looking. Brayden was doing his homework and he stopped and asked me what I was doing.

"I'm looking for something I can throw together and call it supper."

"Gggrrreaat. This should be interesting. Sounds gross."

If he only knew how many meals he has eaten that didn't use a recipe. He would probably die, wouldn't he?

When they asked me what I came up with, I told them Chicken Stew. Then this morning I got to thinking that it's not a stew because it's not thick like stew. And yes, there is a difference between soup and stew. But I don't want to call it Chicken Soup either, because that makes me think Chicken noodle and there aren't any noodles in this. So maybe ya'll can help me name it.

Here are a few I came up with:

Brayden's Scary Chicken Soup
From the Pantry Chicken Soup
Nameless Chicken Soup
What In The World? Chicken Soup

Here is what I used:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
32 oz. Swanson's Organic fat free chicken broth
4 baby carrots, diced
15 oz. can green beans
1/2 cup pearled barley, cooked using package directions
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
salt and pepper to taste
few shakes dry parsley

Heat oil in stock pot. Add onions and garlic and saute a few minutes while stirring. Add broth, chicken, spices and vegetables and cook until carrots are tender, about 10-15 minutes. Sorry, I didn't really time this so not sure. Throw in the barley after that and cook a few minutes. And that's it. Pretty simple. And you could always do this in the crock pot, but I would add the cooked barley before serving. I haven't had good luck cooking barley in the crock pot. It gets mushy.

Enjoy!
Sara

1 comment:

Ken Row said...

Most often when my kids ask what I'm cooking I tell them, "slop in a pot."

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...