Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It Ain't Food Network, But They Eat It....Tuesday!

Last week when the boys were home from their dad's house, I decided we would try to make a treat together. Notice the word try. It ended up being a "everybody get out from under my feet....I'll call you when it's done" kind of treat. But it was good! It only has 3 (maybe 4) ingredients.


Oreo Truffles

1 package oreos (I used double stuffed because that's our favorite)

1~8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened (I used regular...might try 1/3 fat next time)

2-3 cups chocolate chips (the kind you make chocolate chip cookies with)

1 tsp. Crisco (I found a few recipes on line that said to use this and some didn't....I guess it makes the chocolate chips melt smoother?)

I put a row of each of the Oreo's into Ziploc bags...one for each kid. Even Brayden got in on the action. They crunched and crunched until I stopped them because I was afraid they were going to bust the bags. Then I mixed with the mixer the cookie crumbs with the cream cheese. Once this was mixed well, I put the chocolate and Crisco into a Pyrex bowl and sat it on top of a saucepan that had a couple inches of water. I let the water simmer (not boil) and started stirring as the chocolate started to melt. This is something else I thought the little boys could help with but they started fighting over it and I was afraid they would get burned or knock it off the stove. By this point Brayden was in his room playing his guitar.

And that method of melting the chocolate is an improvised double boiler, by the way.

Now onto mistake number 3....maybe 4 now. I started rolling them into 1 inch balls. Some recipes said to freeze it before and some after this step. I was in a hurry so I started rolling and then went ahead and rushed onto the next step of dropping it and covering it with chocolate. Not sure what mistake count I am up to now, but they melted and fell apart in the chocolate, so onto plan D now, I think.

Just put the whole stupid bowl in the freezer at this point for an hour and go play games.

After the timer goes off (yes, set a timer because you will forget) turn your improvised double boiler back on to make sure the chocolate is melted well enough. Now make small balls out of the cookie and cream cheese mixture, roll in chocolate quickly, and put on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Pop them back in the freezer and play some more games for about 30 minutes and they will be done!

I'm sure that was all confusing so let's recap:
Mix Oreo's with cream cheese. Freeze. Roll into balls. Dip in melted chocolate. Freeze. Eat.

I didn't think to take photos of these since we were in a hurry. The boys had to be back at their dad's house for visitation and I had craft night with the girls. Maybe the next time I make them I will remember to take a picture.

But don't count on it.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...