Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It Ain't Food Network, But They Eat it....Tuesday!

So I started to post another dessert today, then I started thinking maybe that is why I am on Weight Watchers. Yeah. So I decided to do something healthy today AND that my family loves! I found this on line (surprise surprise) awhile ago. I changed it a little, so this is my version. And you can change it however you like. Seems like you can't mess it up. I mean...you can if you change the liquid amount I guess, but season it however you like. This is how we do it. Isn't that a song from the 80's or 90's? I am sure Stephen will let me know. I am gonna go with MC Hammer?

On to the recipe!

I have been serving this with asparagus and if I am really busy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Really quick meal.

Couscous
Makes 6 servings (big servings)
3 WW points (if you stretch it to more servings, less WW points.)
2 cups broth (I use chicken. You can also use bouillon cubes and water to equal 2 cups)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. dried minced onion
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 (10 oz. package) couscous ( I started buying it in the big container so that would 1 1/4 cups). If you buy it in the 10 oz container, be sure you buy it unseasoned.

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT THE COUSCOUS in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.

This is a good substitute for white rice. Because remember...high triglycerides? And every time I make this I end up having some left over. You know...you think you will eat it and then you aren't home for a week and then clean out your fridge and it is a science experiment? Yeah. I think I am gonna half this next time and it will be just right.

And just for my sister....bouillon cubes...aka: booger soup.

Sara

2 comments:

Ken Row said...

In what way is couscous better than pasta? They're both made from semolina wheat. Is couscous whole wheat?

gabgirl said...

sorry...i've missed two weeks in a row. :(
busy. busy. busy. will be back in the swing of things NEXT week~s.u.m.m.e.r.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...